Oncology Surgery Department
Oncology Surgery Department is one of the earliest pediatric oncology surgeries established in China, and one of the largest and most comprehensive diagnosis and treatment centers for children with solid tumors in China.
According to the most advanced solid tumor comprehensive treatment platform model in the world, the department integrates the core strength of the team of surgery, chemotherapy, intervention, immune (targeted) therapy, pathology and molecular diagnosis, imaging diagnosis, nutrition support and scientific research to provide one-stop integrated diagnosis and treatment services for children with solid tumors.
The department has 32 beds and 11 specialist doctors, including 3 chief physicians, 2 deputy chief physicians, 1 doctoral supervisor, and 2 master supervisors, and 4 surgeons with doctoral degree. The department is equipped with various advanced instruments and equipment required for children's tumor surgery, such as dynamic 3D-DSA, integrated operating room (minimally invasive), ultrasonic surgical suction system, microwave hemostasis separation (treatment) system, microsurgery system, hot perfusion therapy system, and laminar flow bed, etc.
(1) Pediatric solid tumor, including vascular tumors such as neuroblastoma, liver tumors, kidney tumors, soft tissue sarcoma, mediastinal tumors, various types of germ cell tumors (teratoma, etc.), hemangiomas, lymphatic malformations
(2) Rare tumors in children
1. Focus on pediatric solid tumors and build a diagnosis and treatment center for complicated cases of that. The department has been aiming at solving complicated and severe solid tumors in children for many years, and completed a large number of cases of complicated neuroblastoma, liver tumors, kidney tumors, pancreatic tumors and other cases. A number of technologies of the solid tumor treatment are in the leading position in China and even internationally. It is currently a well-known domestic diagnosis and treatment center for complicated cases of solid tumors in children.
2. Innovation-driven: leading the treatment concept—— “precision minimally invasive” in pediatric tumor, the department is always committed to promoting the development of solid tumor diagnosis and treatment technology in China:
1) Interventional therapy: pioneered the introduction of arterial embolization chemotherapy (TACE), arterial infusion chemotherapy (TAIC), and intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy in the field of pediatrics in China, achieving precise treatment of solid tumors in children.
2) Digital navigation tumor precise resection technology:
Neuroblastoma: on the basis of traditional neuroblastoma vascular skeletal resection technology, it applied modern digital imaging and navigation technology to achieve accurate and complete tumor resection and protection of important tissues and organs such as blood vessels and kidneys; it was the first to carry out “Trap-door” surgery in China, providing the most optimized solution for the operation of complex neuroblastoma at the junction of neck and mediastinum; and the combined spinal canal resection technique was used for neuroblastoma combined with spinal canal invasion, which minimizes the residual tumor of the spinal canal and intervertebral foramen.
Liver tumor: taking full account of the physiological and pathological characteristics of pediatric liver tumors, the department applied digital navigation liver tumor precise resection technology on the basis of systemic chemotherapy and interventional therapy, and innovatively realized the ultimate resection of complex and complicated liver tumors.
Pancreatic tumors: considering the biological characteristics of pediatric pancreatic tumors, the department innovated pediatric pancreatic head tumor resection technology, applied the strategy of preserving duodenal pancreatic head tumor resection, protecting the physiological structure of the digestive tract to improve the quality of life after surgery, and ensure growth and development of children.
Kidney tumor: the department has rich experience in children with rare renal tumors, bilateral nephroblastoma, etc., and many related papers have been published in the international TOP journals of pediatric surgery.
3) Minimally invasive technology: as the earliest domestic team to apply laparoscopic technology to the treatment of pediatric adrenal tumors, the department has made a special technical introduction in the CCTV Health Road column. At present, the number of completed treatment cases ranks first in the single center of children's hospitals in China and the number of completed laparoscopic ovarian tumors in children ranks first in the national single center. The department has delivered special reports on related work at SIOP, WCPAG and other international conferences.
3. Sub-specialization + MDT institutionalization: one-stop integrated treatment for children with cancer has been developed. In addition to professional oncology surgery and oncology medical teams, the department has established sub-specialty teams around tumors on public platforms such as imaging, ultrasound, pathological molecular diagnosis, and nutrition. On this basis, the MDT (Multidisciplinary Consultation) mode was systematically implemented to realize the one-stop integrated treatment of pediatric malignant solid tumors to facilitate patients' treatment. The MDT model was awarded the “Top Ten Best Cases” and “Top Ten Popular Cases” in the East China Region by National Health and Health Commission China Hospital Challenge Competition. In addition, the department and Women's Hospital of Medicine Zhejiang University jointly established a “fetal surgery” collaboration group to achieve integrated treatment before and during delivery.
4. Humanity care: The “1+1 Fund” was co-funded together with Zhejiang Regional Economic Promotion Association to provide targeted assistance to families and patients with malignant solid tumors. Sunflower Seed Library, Child Nutrition Class, Childhood Volunteer, Sunflower Child Volunteer, Child Life Volunteer, “Little Life Warrior” Award Ceremony, "Dream Guardian" Dream Action were carried out to better serve patients and families.
5. Move forward bravely: making full use of the platform of National Clinical Research Center for Child Health, the department actively built a precision treatment center for pediatric solid tumors to integrate high-throughput sequencing, chip-based, bioinformatics analysis, and individual drug screening models (based on PDC and PDX models) and other technologies to provide personalized and precise treatment plans for refractory pediatric solid malignant tumors.
The department has established and standardized the largest domestic pediatric solid tumor biological sample database, undertaking and participating in more than 10 projects related to tumor-related National Natural Science Foundation of China and major national special projects, more than 10 projects of Zhejiang Natural Science Foundation and Zhejiang Science and Technology Plan Project. More than 50 papers have been published on basic and clinical research of childhood malignant tumors in Cancer Letters, Curr Cancer Drug Targets, Medicine, Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Stroke, World Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Chinese Journal of Pediatric Surgery, etc. 2 patents were approved and a second prize of Zhejiang Science and Technology Progress Award and Zhejiang Medicine and Health Technology Innovation Award were awarded.