Rheumatology & Immunology Department
As a branch of the Pediatric Internal Medicine Department, the Rheumatology and Immunology Department was established in 2012, integrating medical treatment, teaching and scientific research. It is one of the earliest specialties for children with allergy, immunity and rheumatism in China. There are 16 specialist doctors in the department, including 1 chief physician, 3 deputy chief physicians, 7 attending physicians, and 5 resident physicians, among whom 12 are masters while 4 are doctors. There are 42 beds in the department and the specialist clinics are opened from Monday to Friday.
All the doctors in the department, except from the 5 residents, have both domestic and foreign specialist training experience, occupying rudimentary knowledge in pediatric internal medicine and rich specialist diagnosis and treatment experience. It undertakes the teaching tasks of undergraduates, graduate students, and international students of Zhejiang University School of Medicine and has held many international conferences and national continuing education classes.
Based on the service tenet of “taking patients as the center, taking quality as the core, and taking satisfaction as the standard”, all the medical staff in the department will provide high-level services for children and parents.
(1) Rheumatism: allergic purpura, Kawasaki disease, rheumatic fever, juvenile idiopathic arthritis (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis), lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, Behcet's disease,etc.
(2) Rheumatism related disorders: Unexplained fever, rash, anemia, thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia, joint skeletal muscle pain; children whose 2 or more organ systems are involved and the cause is unknown;
(3) Allergic diseases: urticarial, eczema, etc.;
(4) Immune-related diseases: primary or secondary immunodeficiency disease, hypoimmunity, repeated fever, abscess, infection or severe infection;
(5) Immunization, allergy consultation and related vaccination consultation;
(6) Common diseases of respiratory system and digestive system in pediatrics;
(7) The ward has a biologics infusion room for regular infusion of gamma globulin or other biologics.
The rheumatic diseases of children are mostly systemic lesions involving the whole body, therefore, the diseases are considered to be complicated diseases in pediatrics. Because the etiology and pathogenesis of the diseases are unclear, the diagnosis and treatment are relatively difficult, and the treatment cycles are long, hence, it is easy to cause joint disability, even intracranial hemorrhage, macrophage activation syndrome, multiple organ function damage and other complications during the period. Based on this situation, the department will provide patients and parents with high-quality diagnosis, treatment and follow-up services for the patients.
Enjoying strong scientific research capabilities, the doctors in the department have participated in multi-center clinical research in the country, hosted a number of topics including national funds, and won one Zhejiang Provincial Award for Science and Technology Progress, and published many articles in foreign SCI journals and domestic core journals.